Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Westerns and Alien Invasions!!!

Greetings!

So last night I decided to watch a few of the blu-rays I received in the mail and I thought I would share my thoughts on the movies and the transfers.



The first movie I watched was the 2007 remake of 3:10 to Yuma starring Christian Bale and Russell Crowe. As I stated before, this was a movie I saw a number of years ago and had a fun time with so when I saw it available to purchase for 5 dollars I couldn't resist.  I'm happy to report the movie has (mostly) stood its positioning in my head as a solid modern western.  Crowe and Bale give two great performances but all of the best scenes are stolen by Ben Foster, who plays the devious Charlie Prince.  The movie is ultimately formulaic and predictable (being a remake and typical western) and it does lag quite a bit in parts.  Still, the movie is an absolute blast with plenty of action scenes and pathos to keep you interested.  The blu-ray transfer was gorgeous and I'm really glad I picked this one up.  It may not be the best western out there, but its worth checking out.

7.5/10




Next, I re-watched the alien invasion movie Monsters.  Now hold on a second, I say "alien invasion movie", but really this movie is not your typical alien invasion movie.  For most people, Monsters will turn out to be a pretty boring movie that is a chore to get through.  It plays out more like a mild romance film set in a world where a strange alien force has made its presence a nuisance to daily life.  Think the more political, real-world setting of District 9 that has ZERO of the action that District 9 has but instead is a character driven drama.  Sound good?  If not, pass on this one.  If so, go for it.  I think Monsters is a shockingly well made movie for having such a tiny budget and it is trying to be a more poignant film than most typical monster movies are.  Still, a few more exciting scenes wouldn't have hurt, but I suppose that tiny budget may have had to do something with that.  The blu-ray looked good but not great, some scenes were more crisp than others but the proper look of the film remains intact.  Also, the director of Monsters is directing the new Godzilla movie coming out in 2014, so that may get you curious about this film.

Oh..... and when the credits roll for this movie, rewind it and watch the opening scene again.  Your heart may break.

8/10



I should also say that after work today I went and picked up Django Unchained.  Another western to add to the collection!  I highly recommend this film and will most definitely be writing a review in the next few days so stay tuned!


No comments:

Post a Comment