After the incredibly entertaining Avengers was released last year, it was hard to imagine the Marvel Movie Universe returning to films that focused only on one individual superhero. I say that because the personality that all of the great Marvel characters working together created is still one of the most entertaining and cutting edge things to grace blockbuster releases in a very, very long time. So stepping back and opening my mind to a more intimate and perhaps “smaller” story was necessary in order to fully enjoy Iron Man 3. Although these doubts were never truly daunting, I did feel that Marvel’s Phase 2 movies may not hit as hard as the first wave of films did. After finally seeing Iron Man 3, I can gladly say that the Marvel Movie Universe has added another winner to the collection, although it doesn’t quite compare to the instant-classic Avengers.
Iron Man 3 picks up not too long after the events of The Avengers. Tony Stark is still his egotistical self, although he has been knocked down a peg or two since the events of that film (if you’ve seen the Avengers, you know what I mean). Stark has been having trouble sleeping and has been spending his time experimenting with new Iron Man suits and other futuristic technologies while his significant other, Pepper Potts (played by the perfectly casted Gweneth Paltrow), is a public figure working for the Stark technology company. Meanwhile, a terrorist know as The Mandarin is making appearances while taking credit for a series of bombings occurring on US soil. Apparently, the Mandarin’s ultimate plan is to assassinate the President of the United States. As with every movie in the Marvel world, there is quite a bit more going on in the story, but fans should get out and see this film instead of having me explain the entire thing. There are very few dull moments and there are plenty of surprising developments throughout the length of Iron Man 3. This film doesn’t just serve as a fun entry in the series, but also an important one that adds many important characteristics to Tony Stark’s role as Iron Man.
As expected, Iron Man 3 looks fantastic. His suits have never looked better and the lavish production values make everything look truly amazing. Iron Man 3 has much more action than the slightly disappointing Iron Man 2, and there really isn’t a dull moment. One of the action scenes in Iron Man 3 is actually one of my all time favorite moments in the Marvel Movie Universe (it involves a lot of distance between a plane and the ground). This scene and at least 3 or 4 other big action set pieces are breathtaking. The film is available to see in 3D (which I saw) but I honestly wasn’t overly impressed with it (outside of a few moments). It was post-converted to 3D after filming and you can certainly tell, but it doesn’t take away from the film at all. I should also note that Iron Man 3 is unique in giving Tony Stark the chance to fight outside of his Iron Man suit. I’m glad they included these scenes as it helps connect the mechanical suit with the man inside of it. It made me respect Tony Stark even more than I already did.
Of course Iron Man 3 has a couple of flaws, one of which has proven to be quite controversial among comic book purists. I obviously won’t talk about it here, and it didn’t bother me at all. In fact, I found the major twist in the film to be both humorous and interesting (as it fit perfectly in this film version). But like I said, comic books purists will undoubtably be furious over this twist, everybody else should be fine with it. Also, there is a TON of comedy in Iron Man 3. Now, that doesn’t sound like a bad thing, but at times there are one-liners and funny moments that made some of the more suspenseful and intense moments seem less disconcerting. Not a huge issue, but one that I feel has plagued all three Iron Man films. And finally, as I stated before this movie just doesn’t have the big scope that the Avengers had. There are a few references to that film, but I can’t help but feel that one of his superhero palls should be around to give him a hand. None of these are major issues, but I felt I should mention them none-the-less.
Iron Man 3 is a great addition to the Marvel Movie Universe. The action scenes live up to expectations and amaze in all of their epic glory. Tony Stark isn’t just a catalyst for a bigger story in this movie, but there is actually quite a bit of development with him as a person. I’m glad the filmmakers knew that progressing the big picture forward is an important thing in the Marvel world, and in that respect Iron Man 3 is a winner. A few minor issues are present in the movie, but nothing severe enough to add up to any marked criticism. Iron Man 3 may not be revolutionary filmmaking, but it certainly is exhilarating and full of twists that will keep even casual film lovers at the edge of their seat.
8.5/10
No comments:
Post a Comment