What a shame it is that Edge of
Tomorrow was such a box office bomb... well at least in the United
States it was a bomb. Doesn't it seem odd that a big, action-packed,
star driven PG-13 movie didn't absolutely sweep audiences away? I
think it is sort of odd, although perhaps audiences are sick of Tom
Cruise or feel like this was just too similar to another one of his
recent films, Oblivion? Whatever the situation is, I think it's a
major bummer that this didn't perform better because Edge of Tomorrow
is everything a blockbuster should be. It's a smart, constantly
thrilling, somewhat challenging and surprisingly funny science
fiction film that had me on the edge of my seat (as always, pun
intended). While Edge of Tomorrow may not be the most fully original
action movie, it does everything a movie like this should only with
more excitement and humor.
Edge of Tomorrow is set in the maybe
not-so-distant future where a meteor containing a dangerous and
deadly alien species has landed in central Europe. These creatures,
called Mimics, quickly reign chaos and spread like a highly
contagious disease through the land. Eventually Earth (sort of)
compiles its resources into creating an army of soldiers who wear
some sort of mech suit that makes them significantly more powerful
and are able to fight back against the Mimics. Tom Cruise plays
William Cage who was originally a poster child for recruiting
soldiers but finds himself forced onto the front lines of the final
attack that hopefully will end the Mimic war. In a terrifying and
surprisingly visceral battle scene, Cage is killed by a giant, blue
Mimic... and wakes up again the day before the battle and has to
re-live the events. He keeps dying and waking up the day before
until he eventfully gets the help of the Rita Vrataski (Emily Blunt)
and Dr Carter (Noah Taylor) who apparently has gone through the same
“Groundhog's Day” experience. I won't spoil anything else but
the rest of the movie is constant action, great reveal-after-reveal
and exploration of how and why this is happening to Cage, and what
they might be able to do to win the war.
I could probably go on for a lot longer
about the details of this film, but honestly you should see it for
yourself. I haven't had such a purely fun time watching an action
film in quite a while. As the more technical elements of the Mimic
species and why Cage re-sets time every time he dies are explored I
found myself more and more engaged with this movie. It helps that
the action in this movie is simply incredible. Action is brutal and
relentless but never so disturbing or graphic that it's hard to
watch. Fighting is chaotic but never confusing and the very cool
design of the Mimics never gets old. The only real complaint I have
is that the final act of this movie becomes a somewhat more formulaic
action affair, but at the same time there is such a sense of urgency
and intensity that it doesn't underwhelm to the point of being
disappointing. In fact, I think Edge of Tomorrow has some of the
best action sequences in a movie in a long time.
Edge of Tomorrow is also a pretty great
looking film. Like I previously mentioned, the alien design is very
creative and gives the Mimics a very dangerous, almost impossibly
strong feeling. The odds are not in humanity's favor in Edge of
Tomorrow. The mech suits, different flying ships the humans use and
various weapons all look very worn and lived in which gives a strong
sense that this war has been going on a while. Edge of Tomorrow also
greatly benefits from a typically great performance from Tom Cruise.
He plays the coward-turned-hero character perfectly and has a lot of
great humorous moments. I think Emily Blunt steals the show,
however. She's a total bad-ass here and the way her character and
Cruise's character plays off of one another is the heart and soul of
this film. This blending of great looking effects (both practical
and computer generated), solid performances and perfect pacing makes
Edge of Tomorrow a winner.
Again, it's unfortunate that this movie performed so poorly at the box office. It has everything most people are looking for in an action movie. The science fiction elements are fantastic and fully realized up until the end, the action is fast and continual, the performances are great which gives the characters life and I was most certainly never bored. Perhaps Edge of Tomorrow's final act is a bit formulaic and the ultimate resolution of the movie may be confusing at first (although with a bit of research and consideration it's actually quite brilliant), but overall this is a really solid film. I'll definitely be adding this to my collection ASAP and I hope it finds its audience as time goes on.
9/10
I enjoyed the movie and will watch it over and over again :)
ReplyDelete