Birdman is a movie about a lot of
things. Birdman is a commentary on the nature of modern day
celebrities and their relationships with their audiences and critics,
a darkly entertaining comedy, a movie about a mid-life crisis and a
wildly bizarre (and sometimes surreal) experience. This movie came
out of nowhere for me and right after I saw the trailer I knew this
movie was going to cause quite the ruckus. This is easily one of the
most acclaimed movies of the year and it isn't hard to see why.
Birdman is a technical marvel and is undoubtedly entertaining in many
ways as a comedy, character study and straight up entertaining flick.
Birdman was just as entertaining as I was hoping it would be
(although not quite as hard-hitting) and I feel it will be a real
winner with most people as it gets wider recognition.
Michael Keaton stars as an aging actor
named Riggan Thomson who is most known for playing the popular
(fictional) superhero Birdman. Unfortunately for Riggan, he has
moved away from the blockbuster world and is attempting to put on an
adaptation of a well known short story on Broadway and not to
entirely successful results so far. As he is trying to do this he
realizes how hard it is to re-invent himself in the public's eye,
battles harsh critics, has to deal with his somewhat rebellious and
cynical daughter and the endless struggles that come along with
putting on a major play on Broadway. There isn't a second of
downtime in this entire film. The story is very engaging and is
laugh out loud funny more often than I was expecting. There are also
some subtle fantasy elements that give certain angles in this movie a
surreal feeling. Birdman started and ended before I had a chance to
breath and for the most part I was completely taken by it.
Without spoiling anything, just know
that Birdman gets flat out strange in some points. I think this
story is an incredibly clever commentary on the nature of celebrity
and how these often glorified individuals can be troubled due to
having just as cluttered and crazy lives as anybody else. While I
think the movie nails all of its points flawlessly, I couldn't help
but try to shake a slight feeling of deja vu. I wouldn't say that
any of the ideas explored here are incredibly unique but that isn't
suggesting that it isn't well done. Birdman has a lot to say and
says it in a very funny way. The creativity behind the structure and
style of Birdman is undeniable and presents somewhat familiar
concepts in a completely interesting way.
Thanks to amazing cinematography from
Emmanuel Lubezki (my all time favorite cinematographer) and
positively flawless editing, Birdman does something truly incredible
as a movie. The entire movie is made to look like one, continuous
shot. The camera is always moving and the entire experience is
seamless. Antonio Sanchez's fun score (comprised mostly of drumming)
gives the entire experience a sense of immediacy and helps some of
the crazier transitions of time make sense. Technically speaking,
Birdman is an amazing movie to watch. It is a hypnotic experience
that heightens the material even more.
One of the most amazing things about
Birdman are it's performances, particularly Michael Keaton's turn in
the lead role. Keaton played Batman in Tim Burton's Batman films
(over 20 years ago now) so seeing his connection with the lead
character here isn't hard. He is extremely funny but can turn sad,
scared or depressed on a dime. The constant struggles and doubt that
seem to be on him at every moment make Riggan a fully realized
character and Keaton portrays him perfectly. Emma Stone plays his
daughter and I think it's her best performance to date. It's also a
change of pace for the young actress, who has never played such a
cynical and outwardly negative character before. Edward Norton
steals many scenes as well in his role as Mike Shiner, an actor who
enters the stage production very late and provides some annoying
drama on and off stage. Other well known actors such as Naomi Watts
and Zach Galifianakis appear as well, all of them adding a little bit
of something to the movie.
It wouldn't be hard to really go into
how genius the central premise is due to actor Michael Keaton's past
as an actor but I feel like all of that has been said and done a
million times over already. I think Birdman speaks for itself.
Technically it's absolutely brilliant and showcases the ambition and
passion of all parties involved. The actors really stepped it up and
Keaton in particular owns this movie. He carries the thematic weight
as well as delivering comedic goods. Birdman is a very modern movie
and is another story about struggling celebrities who are dealing
with their identities and public perception. While I think the
central ideas in this film are interesting I found them a little bit
tired or familiar as well. It isn't a huge complaint in such a great
movie, but it was just enough to keep me from declaring it an all out
masterpiece. Having said that, this is one that will age well and
will hold up to multiple viewings beautifully.
9/10
No comments:
Post a Comment