Thursday, January 29, 2015

The Judge (2014)



There often is (often, not always) a wide gap between major critics' consensus and general audiences' consensus on the quality of a movie. This is most likely a result of the wildly different expectations between these two groups of people. Critics can often be paid to see a movie or only see a movie for the sole purpose of reviewing it which can lead to more careful criticism of the technical elements in a film as well as its overall uniqueness or originality. However, most general audiences or casual movie goers often just want to be entertained by the movie they are watching (and, of course, measuring entertainment levels objectivity is not physically possible). Why on earth would I be bringing this up? Well because the movie the Judge is the perfect example of how these groups of people can differ greatly on their opinions. Audiences seem to be universally praising this film while critics have shrugged it off as overly predictable and formulaic. It's a silly dynamic and watching movies with this sort of reception can be interesting as a movie fan who is not a professional critic but one who thinks a bit more about movies than some people (which I don't mean to be a put down, I just take this stuff pretty seriously). What is it about the Judge that audiences love but critics dismiss? After seeing this movie it is not hard to see what this court room family drama does that makes it polarizing . Overall I agree with critics that the Judge is formulaic and overly melodramatic in parts (but very well acted), but at the same time I also see why general audiences have attached to this emotional, likeable and relate-able drama.

The Judge tells the story about a high level lawyer named Hank Palmer who returns to his hometown when his mother dies. It isn't long before we learn that Hank's family life is falling apart and overall his relationship with his father and brothers is not on the best of terms. His father is Joseph Palmer (who is the judge in their hometown) and his two brothers are Dale and Glen and there clearly is some tension between them but not so much that there is any obvious resentment. After their mother's funeral the judge is arrested for the hit and run “murder” of a local trouble maker who had recently been released in jail after a twenty year sentence that the judge had sentenced him to. The rest of the movie is a play on this family's relationships, especially between Hank and Joseph. There are some romantic elements as well and of course the ongoing court room drama where Hank becomes his father's lawyer to get to the bottom of this accident is the main focus.



I found the story to be overall quite entertaining but none of it was particularly surprising. The real meat in the Judge is in the drama and not the court room elements. Overall I think this film is quite emotional and tells a good story but there was not a single moment where I didn't see what was going to happen next. A lot of the more intense moments occur in the court room but it's hard to say it's entirely a court room movie since so much of it takes place elsewhere. Much of the movie takes place at the Palmer's home as well as a few local places such as a bar and gas station. There is quite a bit going on in the movie and for the most part I think it comes together nicely (and was surprisingly funny). Still, I think the movie is much too long and would have been more entertaining to me if I didn't predict the majority of what happens in this movie. By the end I was ready for it to be over but I still was happy to have taken the journey with these characters.

So yes, I can see why a lot of people have dismissed this as derivative. All of this has been done before. It doesn't help that this movie is nearly 2.5 hours long and there are many moments in the middle of this movie that could have been shaved down to be much shorter. Still, I don't think it's fair to write it off completely because I was also attached to the characters and interested in how these individuals would respond to the overall situation. The drama between the family seemed very genuine (mostly because of the great performances from every actor) and I found myself torn between some of the situational dilemmas and mysteries that were presented throughout the movie. The Judge would probably have satisfied me more if it took a few more risks and maybe threw a few more curve-balls, but for what it is I think it is done well.



If there is any one thing that makes this movie absolutely worth watching it is the performances from the two lead actors. Robert Downey Jr. plays Hank Palmer and does it very well. Some of the typical elements we are used to seeing from Downey are present (confident, cocky, fast talking, etc...) but he is more fragile and flawed here than he normally is. It was really fun seeing him in a more down-to-earth role. The actor who plays Judge Joseph Palmer is the great Robert Duvall. This is easily his best performance in a long time. In some ways his character is a typical cranky old man type but he is so well rounded and has so many character quirks that it makes him an absolute joy to watch in how he reacts to the other characters. Duvall is nominated for best supporting actor at the Oscars this year and I think he deserves it. It's a moving performance that really paints a complete picture of a man dealing with the very honest realities of growing old and dealing with the life he has built. The Judge is an absolute knock out when it comes to performances.



The Judge is commendable in a lot of ways. I think it is a well made movie (it's gorgeous to look at and has a nice musical score) that is mainly benefited by its performances. Robert Duvall gives another great performance in an already legendary career and Robert Downey Jr is always a joy to watch. To return to my point in the opening paragraph, I think this movie is an interesting clash between audiences with different expectations for what they want in a movie. In a lot of ways the Judge is a crowd-pleaser. It's likeable, funny, dramatic and very easy to relate to. I think the characters are fairly well rounded and they create a solid family dynamic that has a pretty heavy central conflict to deal with. Still, I see where a lot of film critics have called it formulaic. The Judge may not be the most original drama in history but I think it's worth watching all the same. I'm a bit torn about this movie but I think there's more to like than to dislike.


7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment