Maybe I'm starting to show my true
colors but I hope it isn't too much of a secret how big of a horror
fan I am. Well here's another one for you... Afflicted. Following
in the ever popular and constantly growing found footage genre,
Afflicted luckily has a few tricks up its sleeve that you may not be
expecting to separate it from the pack. It's also a remarkably
difficult movie to talk about in terms of its story because most of
the fun with this film is seeing how it plays out. While Afflicted
is not a perfect movie and has a fair number of flaws I think it is
one of the better found footage films of the last couple of years.
Afflicted is a fast paced, fairy violent, creative and interesting
horror movie that is held back from being great by some unfortunately
poor acting weakly fleshed out plot points.
Like I already mentioned, Afflicted is
a very hard film to not spoil but I will do my best and keep it
basic. Ultimately this movie is about two friends (who have known
each other almost their entire lives) who plan to go on a year long
vacation around the world to explore and film the entire experience
for a website. They are doing this partially because one of them has
a potentially life threatening brain disease. Derek and Cliff are
the two leads and they quickly set out on their journey to see the
world and start in Paris where Derek has an encounter with a local
woman and wakes up with a strange bit on his body. As the journey
goes along it is clear something is wrong with Derek and he is
infected with some sort of ailment that may either be the worse thing
that has ever happened to him or the best. For the most part I think
the film is straight forward and makes it's increasingly fantastic
story as believable as possible.
One of the best things about this movie
is how quickly it moves along. A lot of the time found footage
horror movies will spend a good 30 minutes or more developing
characters and simply dropping tiny hints at the horror they will
face in the future. Afflicted doesn't really do that and starts
getting intense withing 15 or 20 minutes and never lets up. There
aren't needless characters added or anything either and the focus
remains on Derek and Cliff. After Derek starts to get sick the movie
really takes off and is successful in introducing new elements that
keeps it from being boring. That is a major plus in a film like
this. However the movie is so fast paced at times that it becomes a
bit silly with how quickly our two lead characters jump to
conclusions that they never question. Of course this a movie so I
give it a pass but at the same time there were a few moments I asked
aloud “really?” Not a huge complaint but one that keeps this
from being even all the way across. Also the acting from the two
lead actors (who also directed the film) leaves a LOT to be desired.
What helps Afflicted stand out from
other found footage horror films is how innovative it is with its
camera movements. Instead of being ridiculously shaky and
incomprehensible to hide things this film establishes the characters
as semi-competent filmmakers who are more than talented enough to
properly film things in an interesting way. As a result the movie
definitely feels like “found footage” but still keeps everything
in focus (including scenery and night time shots). There is great
use of a camera that attaches to one of the main character's chest
that makes some of the scenes incredibly tense. Again I'm trying not
to spoil anything but there are scenes where one character is running
through the streets of Paris and jumping around buildings and we see
it all from this first person perspective. I was on edge the entire
time and found the overall results extremely entertaining. The
violence and gore effects aren't super extreme here but what we do
get is effective which adds to the visual style of the film in a
positive way as well. This is a movie I can see more casual horror
fans enjoying as well if they can suspend disbelief enough. Frankly
I'm surprised this wasn't given a wider release.
Afflicted was a nice surprise. I had
heard sort of mixed things from different people about it but I'm
really happy to have given it a shot. It is a surprisingly confident
and attractive found footage movie with a really fun, quickly-paced
plot that is only ridiculous sometimes. Thanks to a very creative
and fun use of first person cameras and consistently creepy imagery I
think Afflicted is sure to satisfy most fans of horror films. It may
not do anything spectacular with its plot and has some admittedly
terrible acting but I hope more found footage films come out of the
gate like Afflicted does. There is very little time wasted in this
film. Highly recommended especially if you want to watch a good
horror movie with a big group of people.
8/10
No comments:
Post a Comment