Every now and again I like to watch a
classic movie that I've never seen before. I was browsing through my
Netflix queue recently and was in the mood for a really long, epic
film and Cleopatra seemed like the perfect choice. After watching
the movie I decided to read just a bit about the movie's history and
wasn't overly surprised to discover that the movie had a very
troubled production and is somewhat infamous for being a “bad”
movie that was a product of the studio. While I can see why critics
were originally very rough on this movie it also isn't hard to see
why this movie is still talked about to this day. Make no mistake,
this film version of Cleopatra is considered a classic by many people
(and despite the critical ravaging it received in 1963 it still was
in for 9 Academy Awards). For me Cleopatra was a mixed bag but
overall I enjoyed it. Cleopatra is one of the most lavish,
extravagant movies I've ever seen but is unfortunately weighed down
by poor dramatic purpose (at times) and a painful pace in the middle
act.
Cleopatra tries its best to be a
historical epic. Obviously it tells the story of Cleopatra but more
specifically it focuses on her relationships with the leaders of
Rome. In some ways Cleopatra is almost two different movies. The
first half focuses on her relationship with Julius Caesar and the
second half focuses on her relationship with Mark Antony. All of
this is framed generally through the showing of how the nations of
Rome and Egypt relate and clash and how these figureheads drive all
of the occurrences. Maybe a lot was left on the cutting room floor
but Cleopatra is obviously focusing more on those main characters
than the overall politics. While I think this was intended to make
the larger than life characters more sympathetic I don't think it
really succeeds since often it's a little confusing why characters
are where they are or what they are doing (or why I should feel sorry
for them). Still, I think the story is serviceable but definitely
not hard-hitting. Luckily the final stretch of this movie was my
favorite part and it all came together is a pretty satisfying way.
Personally I thought the second half of
the movie was superior and the final act of this movie is definitely
the most emotionally convincing part. Perhaps it was due to Richard
Burton's performance as Mark Antony (which was easily the best of the
bunch in my opinion) but I think it would be unfair to ignore how
surprisingly intelligent some of the writing is. The last part of
this movie almost feels like a different film as it focuses on the
intimate relationship between Cleopatra and Antony and makes it
convincing (especially given what the character of Mark Antony goes
through). Unfortunately a solid final act doesn't make up for how
droll a lot of this movie is. This movie is over four hours long and
it feels like it. As the middle act of the movie tries to balance
politics and relationships it fails more than it succeeds and as a
result it feels very, very long. In terms of its narrative I think
Cleopatra is hard to give high praise. It has great moments but is
very long and not always interesting. Maybe this is a somewhat
controversial opinion but I think Elizabeth Taylor's performance is
large reason a lot of this doesn't work. There wasn't a moment where
I really bought her in the weighty roll (but at least she is easy to
look at). When a movie called Cleopatra has such a weak performance
from the actress in the title role you know there is a problem.
Coming in to save the somewhat weak storytelling in Cleopatra are the movie's visuals. This movie is absolutely astonishing to watch and it is most certainly one of the most gorgeous films ever put together. The film is notorious for its enormous budget (which was astronomical for its time and adjusting it for inflation still shows it as one of the most expensive films ever made). The budget really shows. Sets are unbelievably detailed and come to life. Outfits are just as detailed and the changes are never ending. Every scene has something interesting going on visually thanks to the amazing production design put into this film. If there's anything about this movie that should be praised it's how amazing it looks. That's really what this film is known for and it's not hard to see why. Cleopatra is a wonder and really must be seen to be believed. Maybe it can even be seen as a sort of cautionary tale about “polishing up a turd”. That's harsh in my opinion but there's more style than substance in this film (well... most of it).
Overall I'm really happy I finally
decided to sit down and give this super long film a go. Dramatically
speaking Cleopatra is all over the place. It tries to be political,
romantic, dramatic, tragic and funny (not sure if that was
intentional) all at the same time without ever being clever enough to
make it all blend together. While the movie ends on a high note that
doesn't necessarily save how many shortcomings there really are in
it. The true star of Cleopatra is its visuals. Cleopatra is an
amazing looking movie and has some of the greatest sets and outfits
ever put on film. It's a treat to watch and really feels like a
product of a bygone time. Also, make sure you have enough time if
you plan on watching Cleopatra because it certainly isn't the
shortest film. Film lovers and lovers of classic cinema absolutely
must see this, but overall I found Cleopatra deeply flawed and far
from perfect.
6.5/10
No comments:
Post a Comment