Thursday, April 11, 2013

Best Films of 2012




It is important to note before you read this list that such a list is not necessarily set in stone.  When it comes to determining the best movies in a given year, there is a great chance I have not seen a number of movies that were released in the year that may end up on the list in the future.  So keep in mind that this list reflects my opinion as of April 11, 2012... but I doubt it will change dramatically as all of these films have proven to be important and entertaining in my eyes (thought some of them will undoubtedly prove controversial).  Enjoy!


10. The Impossible

This is probably the only movie on this list that I have no urge to see again in the near future.  Not because the film is in any way bad, but because it is truly heart wrenching.  To say that the Impossible is an emotional powerhouse is putting it lightly.  Constantly throughout the film I was battered with scenes of raw human emotion that represent an undying urge to survive and find love in life.  Also, the performances are nearly unmatched in any movie this year.  While Naomi Watts was nominated for an Oscar for this film, I believe that Ewan McGregor matches, if not outdoes, her work.  The plot is simple enough but the results are larger than life.  Ignore any controversy that pertains to how the filmmakers changed the race of the family or under represents local populations as the emphasis of the film is clear: that no matter who you are in this world or where you are, we are all human beings.  

9. Seven Psychopaths

One thing’s for sure, this movie has the best script of any movie I saw this year.  It is a creative and bold movie that doesn’t really try to break any boundaries and yet feels extremely original and refreshing.  Directed by Marin McDonagh (who directed In Bruges), starring Colin Farrell and Sam Rockwell, Seven Psychopaths is an interesting blend of crime thriller, comedy, and drama about an alcoholic screenwriter.  Whatever image those words give you, I can almost promise the movie you see will be completely different from what you are expecting.  Tom Waits makes a hilarious (and surprisingly important) cameo and Christopher Walken gives his most entertaining performance in ages.  Highly recommended.

8. Life of Pi

This was one of the more surprising films I saw this year.  From the trailers and reviews, I was expecting more emphasis to be on the visuals and spectacle than the story (there were comparisons to Avatar).  Instead, I found Life of Pi to be a shockingly profound and moving film while also delivering on outstanding special effects.  Unfortunately I didn’t get to see the movie in 3D, but the visuals were still stunning in two dimensions.  Ang Lee once again proves he is capable of making masterpieces that kind of sneak up on you.  Life of Pi is a modern masterpiece that embraces modern filmmaking techniques but feels old in its delivery.  Prepare for a thrilling, emotional, and awe-inspiring adventure.

7. the Cabin in the Woods

The Cabin in the Woods will probably be one of the more controversial picks on this list, but I stand by it as a hardcore horror fan and a lover of movies in general.  This movie plays with core cliches that the horror genre has invented over the last couple of decades in a creative way that I certainly did not expect going into the movie.  Think of this movie as a science fiction meta-horror film.  That may sound pretentious to a maximum level, but I promise the movie is entertaining, hilarious, and pretty amazing as a whole.  Lots of familiar faces pop up throughout the movie and the script was penned by none other than Joss Whedon (director of the Avengers).  The last twenty minutes of this movie are mind-blowing and unfortunately you may have mixed feeling about it.  Everything about this movie worked for me.

6. the Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

As soon as the opening credits of this movie began, I knew I was going to love it.  My anticipation for this movie was quite mute towards the beginning of the year, but as December got closer and closer I couldn’t help but become excited for the Hobbit.  By November I was practically dying of anticipation and when the moment finally came around, I couldn’t have been happier with the results.  Anybody who has proper expectations for the Hobbit (in other words, you know that this story isn’t nearly as epic as the Lord of the Rings) will probably love this movie as well.  Very few movies have this much action, adventure, fun, or heart.  While the film is quite heavy in CGI, it never really takes away from the spectacle of the story or the pure intentions of Tolkien’s story.  I couldn’t help but not only feel relieved at the results of the Hobbit, but feel excited for the next movie in the series.  This is possibly the most underrated film of the year.

5. Cloud Atlas
Cloud is a movie I wrote very enthusiastically about previously and it is easily the hardest movie on the list of defend.  Polarizing is the only way to describe the reaction to this movie.  I was instantly taken in by this movie and wasn’t let go until the final credits finally came across the screen.  I won’t even begin to explain what this movie is about, because it consists of six different stories that don’t necessarily LITERALLY connect, but they all are part of one story.  Some may find the film too forceful of its philosophy, but I found it to be almost poetic in its beauty and certainly unlike anything I have seen this year.  Also, Cloud Atlas has big budget sensibilities and it looks like a blockbuster (and has an enormous cast, including Tom Hanks and Halle Berry).  This is not to be missed, even if you end up hating it.

4. Prometheus

Did I say that Cloud Atlas was the hardest movie to defend this year?  Perhaps I was wrong because I am not afraid to stand on the rooftops and scream about how much I love Prometheus despite the mass of hatred it has received.  Never before have I seen a movie subject to such meticulous nitpicking or overanalyzing.  Ridley Scott has expanded on the world he began with the classic film Alien in ways that nobody had anticipated.  The film is potentially obtuse in giving answers to its big questions but does not skimp on amazing science fiction action and visuals.  For the most part, performances are outstanding and as a whole and Prometheus is the most outwardly dense and unapologetic science fiction movie for mainstream audiences in an extremely long time.  While a sequel has been proposed (and will most likely actually be released someday), I would be fine with these questions being left up to my imagination as the best science fiction allows the audience to wonder about the universe in whatever way satisfies them most.

3. Django Unchained

I think all of us had reasons to doubt Quentin Tarantino’s efforts leading up to the release of Django Unchained.  After all, how can one filmmakers make great film after great film with such ease?  Well he definitely surprised me again with Django Unchained and I will proudly say that this is his best film since Pulp Fiction.  While some may not agree with that statement, most everybody seems to believe that he has made another great film.  Tarantino usually makes his style distinct by having constant references to classic (and cult) films and film styles.  However, in this film, Tarantino keeps his references in the stylistic aspects of the movie instead of outright having his characters state them.  It is a seemingly impossible blend of genres and has one of the best shootouts in the history of movies.  As expected, all actors give outstanding performances and the soundtrack is one that will not soon be forgotten.  Keep your eyes out for many familiar faces throughout the movie and don’t be afraid to laugh when you’re not sure you should.  Django Unchained is a movie I cannot wait to purchase and watch again and again.

2. Silver Linings Playbook

Of every film I saw in 2012, none of them surprised and pleased me more than Silver Linings Playbook.  Ever since reading rave reviews from early festival showings and seeing trailers I thought to myself “yeah right... so this is the indie comedy that everybody claims to love but is actually just pretty good”.  Ever since Little Miss Sunshine came out it seems one indie production with a big cast becomes “one of the year’s best” simply because its an independent production with a big cast.  Perhaps it was just my lowered expectations but this movie absolutely blew me away.  The most amazing thing about this movie is how genuine and real it feels.  Confrontations are awkward, the family feels and acts like a real family, and the story is incredibly down to earth and relatable (I’ve read the portrayal of bi-polar disorder is amazingly accurate).  Also Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence give two enormously surprising and entertaining performances.  I laughed harder than I have laughed to a comedy in a very long time and couldn’t wait to see what happened next.  Explaining why this movie is so fantastic is difficult, so go out and see it!

1. the Master

There Will Be Blood is my favorite movie of all time, so Paul Thomas Anderson’s next film was bound to spike my interests.  Having said that, I had absolutely no idea what to make of the Master after I first saw it in October.  I was disappointed but in an odd way.  I knew I had seen a profound and gorgeous movie but I couldn’t really say why.  While There Will Be Blood was an instant gut punch after the first viewing, the Master was more of a quiet whisper in the ear that seemed to be growing quieter as the film progressed and eventually faded as it becomes part of your collective comprehension of the world.  Sure that sounds goofy, but I don’t know how else to explain it because as time passed after I saw the Master, I could NOT get it out of my head.  After a few months I had to see it again, and after that second viewing (on blu-ray, which is the most stunning blu-ray transfer I have yet seen) I knew this movie would be my favorite of the year.  Outside of the performances (and I honestly believe Joaquin Phoenix gives the best performance of the last 20 years), this movie is a stunner.  Visually the movie is a singular achievement and the material is about becoming the master of your own life.  Too many seemingly odd and random things occur in this movie to make sense of in one viewing and most people will write it off as a pretentious piece of overly artistic crap.  So be it, I found this movie to be one a kind.  The Master represents everything good about modern filmmaking and in the coming years it will be recognized as a masterpiece.  No pun intended.

2 comments: