It seems that Selma is the movie to
talk about at the moment. There are countless controversies
surrounding the film. Its Oscar “snubs” (although it is in for
best picture), its historical accuracy, its portrayal of certain
figures and general showing of racially motivated hatred all have
caused somewhat of a media frenzy on top of the rave reviews it is
receiving from critics. I think these controversies are mostly
pointless as the movie speaks for itself and is just as historically
accurate as 99% of other movies of its kind (to my knowledge). So
how does Selma hold up as a movie? Well, when I watch movies I like
to watch them as their own independently functioning entities as
often as I can so I went into Selma hoping to watch an emotionally
powerful historical drama that somehow stands out as unique in such a
highly saturated genre. For the most part Selma satisfied. Selma
is, indeed, an extremely emotional movie that tells an important
story in moderately impressive style.
It should be said that this movie isn't
a biopic about Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Really it's just a glimpse
at one of the many important civil rights movements he was a part of
during his life. Set in 1964, Selma is the story about how Dr. King
took the civil rights movement to a small town in Alabama where it is
widely known that African-Americans were often not allowed to
register to vote despite it being illegal to bar anybody from voting
The picture is a weave of political agendas, personal issues and
relationships that the individuals are juggling and ultimately tells
the story about how Dr. King was able to organize an epic march from
Selma, Alabama to Montgomery, Alabama in order to protest the
injustice being served to an entire race in certain parts of the
country. Selma starts off slowly but comes together nicely by the
end. While the central focus is on Dr. King, Selma manages to bring
in a large number of characters who have important segments in the
movie. There were a few scenes (particularly in the middle of the
film) that I found extremely emotional to the point I wished I could
pause the movie and walk away for a bit. Selma definitely nails the
pathos but unfortunately I wished it had moved along a bit more
briskly as well as wrapped up the story more efficiently. Not that I
found this movie to be overly boring, but in the last act I knew
exactly where things were going and it would have been much more
effective if it would have made its point more swiftly.
I can see how some people are upset
that David Oyelowo was not nominated for an Oscar for best actor in a
leading role. It has nothing to do with race that people are upset
but rather that he gives an astonishing performance that is easily
one of the best of the year. Oyelowo completely realizes Dr. King
but also humanizes the character in a down-to-earth way. It's easy
to forget that larger-than-life figures such as Dr. King were human
beings but Oyelowo's performance reminds us of that. It's an
incredible performance and is up there with Daniel Day-Lewis'
portrayal of Lincoln in terms of quality. Tom Wilkinson plays LBJ
and does a nice job and Tim Roth plays Alabama governor George
Wallace in unabashedly villainous fashion. I could go on forever as
the list of supporting actors is actually quite enormous. Like the
best historical dramas not a single one of them gives a bad or
off-putting performance. The performances in Selma are the emotional
core of the movie and they really make the somewhat drawn out moments
feel shorter.
Selma is also a fairly attractive movie
to watch. All of the costumes and settings are done as perfectly as
I understand that they can be (I'm not a historian so any
inaccuracies are beyond me). I love when movies like this can fully
transport you to the time and place they are set in and thanks to
solid production design Selma is no exception. I don't think any of
the camera work or other technical elements are mind-blowing or
unique but as I mentioned in my review of The Imitation Game, do they
really need to be in this type of movie? Maybe Selma is somewhat
formulaic in its structure and visual style but the focus here is on
the characters and historical events. Also the song “Glory” that
accompanies the end credits is worth sticking around for. It is a
brilliant musical track.
The controversies surrounding Selma
aren't hard to understand but they certainly aren't unique to movies
of this nature (that is to say, movies that deal with racial issues).
Whether or not Selma is completely accurate or not is besides the
point in my opinion (and I haven't done enough research to know
exactly how much of this is true). What this movie is trying to do
is get the heart and soul of the event across to its audience. This
was a time period where African-Americans were denied many of their
basic rights as human beings in the United States and thanks to the
actions of Dr. King and his supporters they were able to improve the
issue dramatically. Selma is about the path to that positive
outcome. If you want to draw comparisons between the events in this
movie and things that are happening in the world in 2015, that is
completely up to you. I wouldn't hold such comparisons against the
movie itself and its message, however. Selma most definitely does
not have a malicious or manipulative modern political agenda. It's a
time capsule and is mostly successful in telling its tale.
Seeing Selma was high on my to-do list
at the beginning of the year. I was excited to see it for quite some
time and the constant discussion about the film in the media had me
even more excited to see it. Overall I think this is a great movie
that is successful mostly because of its inherent good-nature and
phenomenal performances. Unfortunately there were moments during the
beginning of the movie where I was hoping it would pick up and
moments near the end where I was hoping it could get its point across
a bit more briskly. All somewhat inconsequential criticisms aside,
Selma is a very good movie. I can see why many people have called it
one of the years best as it contains some of the most emotional
sequences in any movie I've seen all year. While I didn't quite love
Selma as much as some other people, it is a largely satisfying movie
experience that is probably going to be very popular in the future.
8/10
No comments:
Post a Comment